Baobab trees aka monkey bread tree aka "The tree of life" grow in dry, remote areas in over 30 African countries, and Australia. Baobab is a superpower (on its own). Its leave, fruit, its pulp, oil and tree fibers have been traditionally consumed by indigenous African tribes for centuries for their wide range of nutritional and medicinal properties. Here are some of its benefits:
- 10x the antioxidant levels than oranges.
- 6x more than powdered vitamin C.
- 2x more calcium than milk.
- 6x more antioxidants than cranberries, blueberries and blackberries.
- 6x more levels of potassium than found in a banana.
- 2x more antioxidants than goji berries, more iron than red meat, and more magnesium than spinach
- Baobab fruit is a prebiotic- specialized plant fibers that beneficially nourish the probiotic “good” bacteria. This balances the microflora and maintains gut comfort.
Traditionally, baobab leaves, bark, and seeds have been used to treat “almost any disease,” including malaria, tuberculousis, fever, microbial infections, diarrhea, anemia, toothache and dysentery.
Clinical research shows that the omega-3 fatty acids in baobab oil have several health benefits for the skin. They can:
- help prevent water loss from the skin
- soften skin
- improve skin texture
- improve skin elasticity
- help repair the skin barrier
- help to heal skin faster
- reduce inflammation
In African folk medicine, K. africana is used for the treatment of dysentery, venereal diseases, and as a topical application on wounds and abscesses. In the area around Nsukka, Nigeria, the bark is used for the treatment of venereal diseases. It is also used to treat aches and the oil from this tree is used for its incredible skin care benefits.
Our Formulations: ELXR CO SKIN